Jared Hammond | Theatre
Current: Los Angeles, CA / From: Tucson, AZ; New York, NY
Pomona Days: Class of 1984 | Theatre
Current Employment: Director, Finance at Hammer Museum (2015 to Present)
Past Employment & Graduate School:
- Assistant Director, Finance & Administration, Hudson Museum
- General Manager, The Acting Company
- Managing Director, Austin Musical Theatre
- MBA, The University of Texas at Austin - The Red McCombs School of Business
- Artistic Director, The Basic Theatre
- Legal Assistant & Assistant Case Manager, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
I was a theater major at Pomona but reveled in the diversity of subjects and learning experiences that being at a small, liberal arts college offered. I followed Pomona with drama school in London, moved to New York and eventually started my own Off-Off-Broadway theater company. By necessity, I became skilled at "arts management" which eventually led me to pursue that as a career path, to earn an M.B.A., to transition from the nonprofit theater to the nonprofit museum field and, most recently, to relocate back to Southern California.
Tip #1: Be open to possibilities. Tip #2: When facing a career decision, reflect on what your strengths are as well as where your passion lies, and explore that intersection.